I’m back! And a Birth Story!

Hey all! I am finally back to writing. For now anyway. I ended up taking an impromptu break from this space these past couple of months because honestly, the pregnancy was really taking a toll on me. The baby was riding very low in my pelvis, he was posterior facing until the bitter end (which aggravated my existing back issues) and I couldn’t think straight to save my life. But now he’s here, I’ve accepted that I will not be sleeping more than three hours at a time for the foreseeable future, and I am ITCHING to get back to writing.

So let’s start off with a birth story shall we? It’s a fun one!

First of all, I have to say that my husband is a HUGE fan of the Catholic Guy Show on Sirius XM’s the Catholic Channel. He follows all of their accounts (and all the fake accounts too) and he very excitedly tells me about all the bits and whatnot they do on the show. He’s a superfan. (For more information on the show visit bearsarefast.com. It won’t explain a thing but it is super funny.)

Why am I telling you this? Because Lino Rulli (the host of the show) decided to host a convention for fans of the show. They called it Catholic Guy Con. And they scheduled it for August 17th and 18th. The baby was due on August 29th.

Some would say that it’s probably not the brightest idea to book an out of state trip less than two weeks before the birth of your third child. My husband is not one of those people. He was, quite literally, the FIRST person to buy a ticket to the convention. Lino apparently addressed the story during the convention and in the process, gooched me.

On August 19th, at 5:00 in the morning, I was lying in my bed. I had been dozing fitfully all night but could not fall asleep for the life of me. All of a sudden I felt a popping sensation and quickly rolled out of bed and stood just in time for my water to break all over my bedroom floor. I stood there in total shock for at least five minutes, I’m not even exaggerating. All that was going through my mind was “Really? REALLY?!?!? Please be pee. I hope I’m peeing myself. The water is getting really close to that extension cord I should move it.”

My husband was already scheduled to be on the first flight out of Minneapolis and I knew he wouldn’t be home until at least 3:00 in the afternoon. There was a pretty good chance I was going to have this baby without him. I called my brother and sister in law (they live upstairs… more on that in another post) and I told Alison to come down RIGHT NOW, I think my water broke, I hope it’s pee, but come down anyway. I called Chuck and let him know what was going on. His first words were: “You’re kidding right?” I was, in fact, not kidding.

I called my doctor’s office and they told me to get to the hospital and the OB would be on standby. Alison grabbed a towel to clean up the mess, I took a quick shower and packed a bag, we made sure the grandparents were on their way to watch my kids and we were off to the hospital. Alie was excited because she was going to be present for the birth of her Godson. I was completely flabbergasted that this was even happening to me right now. This was to be a recurring theme for the rest of the day.

When we got to the hospital they quickly wheeled me into a room and got me set up in the bed and did a quick test to make sure I hadn’t peed myself. Unfortunately, it was amniotic fluid so my nurse cheerfully told me I was going to have a baby. I didn’t have a birth plan printed out or anything (#thirdchildproblems) so I told the nurse that I wanted as natural and interference free experience as possible and she was totally on board with that. Explaining to her that my husband was at a convention in Minneapolis for a talk show on satellite catholic radio was a little more complicated but she took it in stride. She hooked me up to the monitors and left us alone to wait.

My first two labors were very fast. I was in active labor for four hours with Chucky and only three with Clara so we were expecting a similar experience this time around. Instead, I sat in the bed straining to feel a contraction and watched the hours crawl slowly by.

There’s more to the story but the baby is actually asleep and I need to run off to bed to catch up on some shut eye. Stay tuned for part two coming… well as soon as I can manage it. See you soon!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s